Singapore Town Councils

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Accountability & Transparency for Town Councils: ST (15 Jun 2006) - 'WASTEFUL' PRACTICES BY TOWN COUNCILS: Have panel examine use of public funds

To: Feedback Unit
cc: Ms Amy Khor - Chairman, Feedback Unit
cc: Opposition MPs and NCMP
cc: sg_review
cc: Today - fyi
cc: Straits Times - fyi

15 June 2006

I read with interest the letter in The Straits Times, "'WASTEFUL' PRACTICES BY TOWN COUNCILS: Have panel examine use of public funds" (15 June 2006) - attached below.

I have been reading letters to the newspapers about such wasteful practices of many town councils and I find this very disturbing.

You can understand the concern and uneasiness of many citizens when such practices become prevalent in town councils as they deal with residents' money, in this case, their monthly Service & Conservancy ( S & C) fees which amount to hundreds of millions collectively. Their concerns are excerbated when the finances of the town councils are not publicly and openly reviewed, discussed/debated and accounted for annually in the presence of the residents in the respective town councils, as is the requirement of "private town councils" which collect conservancy or "maintenance" fees from residents, the MCSTs running private condos. These MCSTs are subject to annual AGMs where their accounts are openly reviewed and discussed/debated as to how they are spent .

I believe the government needs no reminding how the NKF became such an issue when the public's money entrusted to it are "abused", precisely because of lack of proper "accountability and transparency".

Given the prevalence of such imprudent practices in many town councils (as reported in the newspapers and through letters to the forum pages), and for the sake of transparency and accountability, I suggest that the government mandate that town councils convene annual "meetings" equivalent to MCSTs' AGMs where their finances are openly accounted for. This is important as town councils deal with residents' money and as stakeholders, residents have the right to know how their money is spent.

I sincerely hope that the government does not wait till another "NKF-type" case to unfold before taking serious action.

Rgds
Jeffrey Ho
http://towncouncils.blogspot.com/

1 Comments:

Blogger Simone said...

I have been having issues with my town council for years and after numerous emails to the Marine Parade Town Council General Manager and to various MPs, the NEA, I am still living with litter in the void deck, rats in the grass verges of Marine Parade and cockroaches crawling in through cracks in the rubbish chute wall into my kitchen.

I am at my wits end. The MPTC was supposed to have cemented over the cracks from my neighbour's rubbish chute last Saturday. They forgot. I live in dread of every dark shadow, and of the next fogging exercise which will drive more of the critters into my apartment.

I would appreciate any help you can give me to highlight the sheer inefficiency of the Town Council - in spite of the fact that I have been paying my conservancy bang on time each month.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home